Often times, you find the data that you need in a format that you don’t want. Perhaps, you are looking for GeoJSON but the data is in a ShapeFile, or you need an SVG format but you can only find a bitmap image. Maybe you need to convert an SVG to JSON, or CSV to TSV, or something else. Either way, converters are really useful to convert the same data to a format that integrates with your application and I wanted to start a collection of different kinds of great data converters that I have found online. Recently, I have even wrote my own converter and some of that work has inspired this post.
- Ogre GeoJSON Web Converter – converts onine to/from GeoJSON (supports shapefile, csv, georss, kml, etc)
- svg2json – a PHP library for converting SVG to JSON format and was largely inspired by Aaron Lindsay’s SVG to dojox.gfx Convertor.
- SVG Paths to Polygons – online converter that converts SVG paths to polygons
- SVG to Raphael Converter – Convert SVG into Raphaël
- SVG to WKT – Convert SVG to WKT for use on maps
- d3export – Convert D3 to SVG, PDF, or PNGs
- xml2json.js – Small and Fast XML to JSON Converter
- XML to JSON Convertor and ReMapper – jQuery plugin for converting data from XML to JSON format
- XML to JSON Online Converter – Convert XML data into JSON Online
- image2svg – Online Image to SVG Converter
- Online Convert – Free online file converter (Audio, Video, Image, Document, etc.)
- Vector Magic – Easily Convert Bitmap Images To Clean Vector Art
- SVG Optimiser – python module to clear up SVG files, especially those created in Inkscape
- File Bakery – lets you convert a zipped ESRI Shapefile or MS Access .accdb/.mdb file into CSV
- Shapefile to GeoJSON Converter – uses HTML5 File API, Web Workers, and OpenLayers Proj4js to convert ESRI Shapefile format into GeoJSON.
- GeoJSON to TopoJSON Converter – Converting GeoJSON to TopoJSON with NodeJS
- SVG to HTML – SVG to HTML5 Canvas converter
- GetSVG – Upload SVG and convert online to Raphael
- SVG to JSON – PHP script to convert SVG to JSON
- togeojson – converts KML into GeoJSON, in a browser or with nodejs.
- MyGeodata Converter – converts shapefile to GeoJSON
- ESRI to GeoJSON – converts ESRI-JSON into GeoJSON
Inkscape – Open Source vector graphics editor with lots of features.
Potrace – a tool for tracing or transforming a bitmap into a smooth, vector graphic.
MapShaper – online ShapeFile Editor
Geography Markup Language – wikipedia article on geographic markup
grunt-webfont – Generate custom icon webfonts from SVG/EPS files via Grunt
JSON Editor Online – great JSON edit tool